Ways To Keep Teeth Healthy Through Halloween
Fall is great, especially in this area. Not many parts of the country get to experience the crisp morning air and the beautiful fall foliage like we do. Another reason this time of year is so much fun is Halloween. While some people love the spooky aspect of Halloween, others enjoy the sweets and delicious treats popular during this time of year. We want to share some helpful tips to avoid being spooked by what may be brewing in your mouth after you overindulge in sweets and treats.
Reasons to Limit Sugar
For years, you have been learning about the importance of eating sugar in moderation. That being said, do you really know why sugar is bad for your teeth? Each time you eat sugar, especially if it’s a sticky candy, it lingers on and between your teeth. Over time, the lingering sugar turns to acid and begins to eat away at your tooth enamel, leading to decay and cavities. This is one of the main reasons we always stress the importance of brushing after eating, especially after consuming sugar.
Ways to Keep Teeth Healthy
If you are a sugar lover, it can be easy to overindulge in sweet treats, especially during this time of year. Here are some helpful ways to keep your teeth from experiencing issues:
- Choose chocolate or sweets that melt easily over sticky and chewy treats
- Avoid treats that will stay on the teeth, such as fruit snacks, caramel, and taffy
- Drink plenty of water to wash away lingering bacteria
- Brush as soon as possible
- Consider distributing non-candy treats, like stickers, pencils, or Play-Doh
- Donate any leftover candy to the troops or another organization
If you are located in the Canandaigua, NY area and have questions about how to properly clean your teeth or need to schedule an appointment, be sure to contact our office. We are happy to help you keep your teeth from experiencing any frights this Halloween.